Friday, October 9, 2009

Household Goods

On Wednesday my household goods showed up. It took about 2.5 months for my stuff to go from Atlanta to Miami, then on a boat to the UK where it had to clear customs, before moving on to Prague and finally to Brno.

The agency said that the driver would be at my flat between 8 am and 4 pm...that's worse than waiting for the cable TV folks back home.

At 2 pm I called the agency in Prague and they said the driver would be here in 30 minutes. But 30 minutes later the driver called and said it would take another 30 minutes. And of course the driver they sent could not speak English. Fortunately though he spoke enough German for us to understand each other.

While he had the delviery van double parked on my one-way street, he helped unload my 22 boxes as I ran them all upstairs. My flat is on the 5th floor (a U.S. 6th) but the elevator only goes to the 4th floor, so I had to haul my boxes up 1 flight of stairs.

I had this day in the back of my mind when I was looking for flats. Going up and down a single flight of stairs is fine. But there was no way I was going to move in to a 3rd or 4th floor flat without a lift.

Getting to open all of my boxes was kind of like Christmas! I've got all of my cold weather clothes and just in time for my first Czech winter. But now I've got to go to Tesco to buy some more hangers. And eventually to Ikea for a dresser.

No comments:

Post a Comment