Friday, July 1, 2011

Two Years Down

Well I did it. I made it through my second year of living in the Czech Republic. Woo-Hoo!!

Two years ago I stepped foot in this country for the first time. First time, ever! Yes, I know it was kind of crazy to move to a foreign country that I had never been to before. However, I do love a challenge and this has been a big one.

When I arranged my IBM transfer from Atlanta to Brno, the deal was that I would be here for at least 2 to 3 years. Things have been going well. Busy but well. The Czech government has extended my visa for another two years so it looks like I'll be here until at least 2013. At that point I will have been here for 4 years. If I stay a 5th year, and pass a Czech language exam, then I can receive permanent residency in the ČR. Not sure if that is something I will do or not but that's a good 3 years away.

I've had the opportunity to do quite a bit of traveling. I guess 17 countries in two years isn't too shabby. I still have 3 weeks of vacation to take this year so let's see how many new countries I can make it to. Right now, I'm planning a good 2 - 3 weeks back in the USA in Fall 2012. This will be the first time I visit home since moving here. I need to get back to Atlanta to recharge my batteries and I'm definitely ready to spend some quality time with my family in California.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching two years -- at the rate you're going, you might never move back "home"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just thinking about you today so I checked out your blog and saw it's been 2 years since you left...I can't believe it! You have had a busy and exciting time, I'm envious. Hope to see you this fall! Take care Candy

    ReplyDelete