Thursday, August 23, 2012

Pizza Night at Nat's

Last night, Claudia, Katka and I went over to Natalie's flat for pizza night.  We found some dough that worked well enough that we had "normal" pizza crust.  By normal, I mean like normal American crust.  Not super thin like it is over here.

It was a lot of fun just hanging out and making our own combinations such as tomato, basil and ricotta, ham and pineapple, and salami and mushroom.  We used plenty of tomato sauce so there was no need to put ketchup on top. 

At least my shiner is healing
Yes, I said ketchup.  All pizza that you buy by the slice here has hardly any sauce so you have to put ketchup on top.  And the ketchup is pretty sweet.  It's just something that you get used to.  Fortunately, we didn't have to go that route last night.

I took over some Kraft grated Parmesan cheese and crushed red pepper so that I could teach people how we eat pizza in the USA.  In a restaurant you can sometimes get Parmesan cheese for pizza but you will never find crushed red pepper.

It's funny how something as simple as pizza can be so different.  I remember being in Germany, when I was in the Air Force 20 years ago, and having a tuna and garlic pizza.  It sounds crazy but it actually is still one of my favorites.  And there is no pepperoni over here.  If you want what we Americans call a "pepperoni pizza" then, over here in ČR, you have to order a "salami pizza".  When I first got here three years ago I ordered a "pepperoni pizza" but the problem is that here pepperoni = pepperoncini so what I got a was a pizza with nothing but pepperoncinis.  Nothing else.  Just a pizza with a tiny bit of sauce, some cheese and pepperoncinis.  Oh well, live and learn.

Our pizza last night was so dang good!!  We did go a bit overboard and made way more than we needed.  But the leftovers made for a really nice lunch today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment