Saturday, October 26, 2013

Pilsner Urquell

Before I moved to Czechland, I only knew of one Czech beer in the USA - Pilsner Urquell.  It has always been one of my favorites.  Though I have to admit it does taste better over here.

Plzeňský Prazdroj is better known by its German name Pilsner Urquell.  First brewed in Plzeň, in 1842, this was the world's first pilsner beer.  Ninety percent of the beer produced in the world is a copy of it.  Today the brand is owned by SABMiller and it is the most popular beer in CŘ.

Back in the 1840s, the standard beer in Bohemia was top-fermented with a dark color and inconsistent quality.  Pilsner Urquell is bottom-fermented with a light color.  They say that the secret to the beer is its hops, soft water and fire-brewing.

Some places offer unpasteurized, unfiltered, beer from wooden casks without any added CO
2
.  This is about as close as you can get to how beer tasted back in the 19th century.  Absolutely delicious!!


Here's a 2004 commercial I found out on YouTube.



It's a three day weekend and so I'm off in bit to Plzeň.  I fully plan to visit the brewery.  I have a feeling that I'll be taking my family there when they come visit next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment