Wednesday, December 30, 2015

New Flat

It's been a busy month with lots going on but I managed to find a new flat.  It's in Stránice in the Masarykova čtvrť (Masaryk Quarter) part of town.  This is the north west part of Brno's centre.  It's a quiet area with many old villas and not far from Kraví hora (Cow Mountain) and the observatory.



The building is quite modern looking and stands out among all of the surrounding houses.  The owner is the architect and I assume that he must have had some pull with the city.  It has been recently renovated and I will be the second person to have the flat.

When I started looking for flats I considered downsizing and wanted another furnished flat.  Fast forward a bit and I ended up choosing a slightly larger place and unfurnished which means now I need to buy some furniture.  The flat is a 3+kk which is a two-bedroom flat with a living room and a corner kitchenette.

Things in the kitchen are a bit smaller.  The refrigerator and freezer are smaller than what I have now.  There's a little less counter space and no dishwasher but I don't think that will be a problem.



It will only be a challenge for when I cook Thanksgiving dinner.  Oh, and the washing machine (no dryer) is next to the oven.

The bathroom has a tub with the traditional Czech hand shower wand but I should be able to sort out a shower attachment.

There's a separate loo and it has a sink.  It also has a hot air dryer.  I can honestly say that I've never seen an air dryer in a flat before.

I will lose my view of the castle and cathedral but I do have a balcony with a view of the garden.

The highlight of the flat is the onyx wall next to the kitchen.  It is beautiful and it lights up.  I may have to call the place mini Tugendhat

The biggest drawback is that there is no closet but built in closets are not the norm over here.  It looks like I'll be spending some time at Ikea so that I can pick up a wardrobe and other furnishings.  I'll post a future update once I'm all moved in.

No comments:

Post a Comment